Re: [A/S] advice for total newbie sought

Hi Brian,

Well we are neither small or inactive...you've come to the right place.
Welcome.

< In short time I am moving from St. Louis Missouri to the Albuquerque
 New Mexico area. When doing this, I have been considering using an
 Airstream as my primary residence (at least for a few years). I hope
 to get a few acres in the outlying area (Sandia Mtn area) and put in
 a parking pad and put up a large (2,500-3,000sq ft or so) Morton
 Building or similar type of shop for my "toys".>

So far sounds like a plan.

< I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on
 finding info on this - i.e. if it is economical / feasable to do so,
 what are some of the pitfalls, caveats, etc. And primary what type of
 vintage 'stream would best fit my needs. I have seem so many
 different models and variations it makes my head spin!>

As far as economically feasable? It would be much less expensive to buy the
Airstream and live in a campground......  it would also put you in a
community situation, instead of being off by yourself in a strange place.
Your choice of course. The big barn would be the problem, many campgorunds
allow smallstorage buildings,  but not that size.

< I have read that it is poor form to discuss what one pays to get into
 one, etc, but I'm hoping someone will make an exception because I am
 so new.>

Trailers can start at 300.00 (rare) and go up into the many thousands. I
would expect you would pay around $5,000 for an Airstream with working
appliances and no broken pipes etc.  Then the land (you'll have to find
unrestricted property) then the septic system, electric, phone and water. The
pad would be the least of your expenses.

 >Some stats: I'm 29, single (perpetually), IT/computer professional.
 I'm into old VW campers, Old motorcycles (specifically Russian ones),
 restoring oldies of all types, etc. I've owner various incarnations
 of VW Westfalias and lived out of them for short durations a time or
 two. Out of my  current fleet, my best tow vehicle will be a 1958 Plymouth
Fury (once
 the motor is rebuilt) it has a 300hp "Poly" 318 with 3-sp Torque-
 Flite transmission (new) and the Fury's came with the same heavy-duty
 suspension and brakes as the Suburban wagon,>

The Fury should make a dandy tow vehicle for a vintage Airstream....

I think your idea is terrific..........  I live in my Airstream and plan to
for the rest of my life.... many people do.

You'll have to check on ALBQ laws, zoning, and prices..... the big barn might
be at least $50,000.00......

Personally, I'd go for a campground, but then I'm pretty social. I think
living in the middle of no where  would be very lonely, especially in a new
town.

Here's the website of a guy who lives in his vintage trailer.... showing his
set up......

 http://members.cox.net/bobkiger/

Hunter