Re: [A/S] Tow Vehicles

this is excellent!  you are going to have that vehicle for a long time and one
of these days you are going to want to tow into the Rockies and what might work
East of the Miss R is not going to work all that well in the Rockies.  As stated
before, I have a 90 burb with 5.3 or 353 as you wish fully set up for heavy duty
towing along with 4.1x rear end.  I pulled my Sovereign from Point Reyes CA in
'98 thru OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, NM and back into Texas all on Interstates thru all
the hills, etc.  The worst pass I found was South bound thru Raton because of
the fact that there was no way to coast up some speed before hitting the 2 mile
long climb.   that climb was done in first gear! and That ate the electric OD
tranny.  I replaced it with a T400 a couple of weeks later when it came apart on
the street here in Houston.

Point is, I need horsepower to tow thru the mountains and I want it to be in low
rpm which means diesel.  I do not care about mpg as that is just part of the
cost of owning the vehicle which will have the capability to do what I want when
I want it done.  Now or 5 yrs from now.  In the meantime, I do not mind driving
an E350 PSD around town or to the grocery store.  When I need it to do the job,
it will be there and fully able to do it.  Again, running across the state to
Brady, NBraunfels, Midland or to other rifle matches here in Texas will not
require the 7.3liter PS but once I head on across the state line towards Raton,
I will need it.

Think ahead before you buy.  or else, plan on renting a tow vehicle once you hit
the Rockies.  and in some cases, that just might be the best thing for some
people to do.

fwiw
chas

--