Re: [A/S] Electricity

Hi Rusty,

The Argosy that followed me home a couple of weeks ago had the AC circuits
messed up.  Turned out that the air conditioner installers had punched
screws through the line and shorted the neutral to the ground.  Each time I
plugged the shore line into my home, the GFI would blow.  I started by
cleaning up the frame ground.  Next, I looked at all the receptacles to be
sure there wasn't a crossed wire or sort in the box.  A VOM confirmed that
there was a direct short between the neutral and ground.  At first, I
suspected mice eating insulation.

A previous owner had thoughtfully installed a grounding cable.  I guess he
drove a stake or something into the ground.

Anyway, you must know that there can be considerable voltage between neutral
and ground.  IMHO, a short between the shell and neutral in combination with
an open ground (corroded) could make the shell hot with regard to the earth
ground.  Next, the neutral could be OK with an open ground and the shell
could be shorted to the hot side.  And finally, you could have a crossed
hot/neutral in the circuits.

In conclusion, it's my recommendation that you clean up the frame ground
connection or make new ones.  My '69 Safari made the connection inside the
monocoque - impossible to find unless you open the inner aluminum as I did.
The Argosy had the connections made to the frame in the bumper hatch where
they could be serviced.  With the power on and taking precautions to avoid
the shocking experience and having disconnected all AC appliances, use one
of the idiot light circuit testers and note wiring condition.  More than
likely, you'll find crossed wiring in the receptacles along with poor
grounding to the frame.  I'd be shocked to learn that it's static build-up!
:)

Hope your shore line has a ground fault receptacle.  This detects
differences between the current flow in the hot and neutral - like part of
the current following a ground.  Doesn't matter how small the amount of
current, the GFI opens the circuit.  I'm not sure it is a good idea to put a
GFI in the trailer, but some do and it's costly.

None of this may help your situation as I learn by my own experience.  Good
luck!

                                           '69 Safari, Joy