Re: [A/S] Question about deep cycle battery brands

Will,
Nearly all battery people recommend replacing batteries in complete
sets, never half a set. As you say, the bank will reflect the worst battery.

Check the charging voltage from your inverter when it's charging. It
probably should rise to 14 volts for a while, then drop to 13.6 or so.
If it never exceeds 13.8, your batteries won't become fully charged. Is
it supposed to be a "smart charger"?

I usually test my batteries with one of those "load testers". They're
availble from NAPA, or even Harbor Freight, with prices from $30.00 on
the low end to maybe $70.00 at the high. The best method is to fully
charge the batteries, disconnect the jumpers to seperate them, let them
sit for at least 12 hours, then subject them to the load test. It's nice
to keep a log of the readings.

I equalize the pair of batteries on my computer's UPS every month, but
don't bother on the trailer. The latter batteries get cycled somewhat,
plus my Inteli-Power converter takes care of equalization automatically.

If they'll fit, Golf Cart batteries are the best bang for the buck for
RV use. Sam's Club has them for less than $50.00/each; a pair in series
gives you a 200+ AH battery bank. And GC batteries are true deep cycle
units and will stand being repeatedly discharged to 20% capacity.

One of the best investments you could make is an eMeter or equivilant.
At the moment, you're pretty much guessing as to what's going on with
your battery bank. Camping World has the Link 10 (another name for
eMeter) for $179.00 (PC price). You describe adding "power hungry
stuff", then complain that your ability to dry camp has diminished. You
don't really KNOW what's happening with your batteries. Are you aware
that much of that stuff draws the SAME amount of power when it's "Off"
as when it's "On" and in use? Some satellite receivers draw 25 watts of
power, translating into 2 amps from your batteries, equating to 24
AH/day, if left connected. We get by on 24 AH/day (more or less) for
EVERYTHING.

Be very careful when working around your batteries. Remove all jewlery,
watches, etc., then pay careful attention to your use of any wrenches.
Exploding batteries are not fun!

You might spend some time reading on the list of URLs that Hunter posted
a couple of days ago; you too can become an expert on batteries. One of
the best is http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/, go to "technical
articles", and read parts 1 & 2 of "The 12 Volt Side of Life".

                              <<Jim>>