Re: [A/S] Two questions

Tom,
   A pyrometer is basically an exhaust temperature guage. Some have the
probe mounted ahead of the turbo, some are after; it makes no difference
except that a post-turbo setup will read about 300 degrees cooler than
pre-turbo.

The pyro tells you how hard the engine is working and when it's
approaching the danger point (melting pistons). The danger point is
about 1300 degrees on a pre-turbo pyro, according to what I've read. If
mine reaches that point, I force a downshift by hitting the OD lockout
button.

I've never seen a pyro from the factory, mine is from IssPro and is
mounted in/on the 'A' pillar, along with the trans temp and boost
guages. (the 'A' pillar is the door/windshield frame) Mine is a DIY
installation that took about an afternoon to install. I had put the
trans temp pickup probe in the pan earlier and had the wire run to under
the dash. The boost guage connects to an existing fitting on the intake
manifold, but I had to drill & tap the exhaust manifold for the pyro
thermocouple.

                              <<Jim>>