Re: [A/S] transmission temperatures

Jon,
  You're should be safe following the owner's manual recommendations as
far as OD vs. 3rd for towing. Some transmissions, specifically the 700R4
used in 1/2-ton GM vehicles, will have a very short life if left in OD
while towing. Others, such as those used in GM's 3/4-ton vehicles, are
just fine towing in OD.

Most of the heat in an automatic transmission doesn't come from the
transmission itself, but from the Torque Converter. During most
operations on the road, the torque converter clutch is locked up, making
it much like a manual clutch, so NO heat is generated by the TC. When
you lock out OD, the transmission will lock the TCC once the vehicle is
up to speed. If OD is selected, the TCC will remain unlocked until the
transmission has shifted to OD. At least that's the way it works in the
Dodge. For that reason, I'll lock out OD if I'm cruising at 45 MPH; that
forces it to stay in 3rd and allows the TCC to lock instead of its
shifting to 4th and leaving the TCC unlocked. In my truck, the 3-4 shift
will happen at 40 MPH, but the TCC will not lock until it reaches 50 MPH.

If you have a tach, you can pay close attention to what's going on and
figure out the exact sequence of operation, if the TCC is locked or not,
etc. You determine if the TCC is locked by letting the speed stabilize,
then add just a bit of throttle kinda quickly. ("jab" the throttle) If
the tach doesn't move to amount to anything, just follows the speed, the
TCC is locked. If the tach jumps with the throttle, but the speed lags,
the TCC is UNlocked. When you remove your foot from the throttle, notice
how the tach immediately drops way off; that's because the TCC unlocks.

The quickest way to heat up your transmission is manuevering to park
your trailer, especially if you need to back uphill or if the ground is
a bit soft, requiring more throttle to get 'er to move. The other bad
condition is a hard, long pull in 2nd, such as a very steep hill at slow
speeds.

FWIW: it won't hurt your engine nor your mileage to let the engine run
at 2500 RPM or more. My old Jeep CJ-5 cranked 3000 RPM at 70 because of
the 3.73 axles.

                                  <<Jim>>