[A/S] Airstream corp caravans

Hi Skip,

Ten years ago, we took the company caravan to Alaska. Like you, I had some
reservations after reading the rules, but quickly realized that we would see
more and go to more places if I went along with the rules (none of which
were of any real consequence). The benefit of having our leaders take care
of thousands of details far outweighed the few guidelines we followed.

I do remember dressing up for the first and last banquet meal. As it turned
out, both events were at fancy places where dungarees or cut offs would have
been grossly out of place. The rules were common courtesy or social cues for
avoiding problems.

We saw an example of that when a caravaner didn't follow the rule of, "Don't
arrive at the campground before the Caravan Leader." This family arrived
before the leader and proceeded to pick out a site and disconnect. When the
leaders arrived, the caravan was parked a mile away in an entirely different
area. The early birds were bummed because it was going to be inconvenient
getting to informational meetings and sharing in the activities each time
the group went to town for a show or special event. They saw the folly of
their way and rejoined the group. They never again arrived before the
leader.

As a generalization, requests by the leaders for certain behaviors turned
out to be based on ordinary logic, although I didn't always know the reason
ahead of time. Once I got it through my thick skull that the leaders knew
more about what they were doing than I knew, then life became easier for me
and our enjoyment increased markedly, to the point where we had an immensely
good time that will always be remembered.

You questioned fitting into the group. Remember, all of those in the group
are individuals - and like you, they too, are already competent, capable and
experienced at carrying out complex responsibilities under a wide range of
circumstances. You'll fit in just fine.

Skip, I don't think I know you, so what I'm about to say may seem silly. If
you are part of a minority group and have already experienced not fitting
in, then you'll find caravaning a piece of cake. Sandie and I have very
obvious physical needs, yet we've never felt like we didn't fit in while on
a caravan.

You mentioned traveling at your own pace. That's all well and good. Do it
and do it often. But, when on a caravan, give yourself the freedom to travel
at the caravan leader's pace.  Think of it as taking a vacation from
yourself.

I would make one suggestion. At the initial group meeting where you
rendezvous for the caravan, be ready to volunteer immediately to do
something with the group - anything - but do something. We have favorite
jobs that we like doing. You'll receive a list of jobs that need volunteers
at this first organizational meeting. Pick several possibilities and be
ready to quickly volunteer to do one of them.

Sandie and I like the postmaster and postmistress job.  We're used to
getting our mail every week while traveling the continent and we know all
the ins and outs to make it occur reliably. We like doing jobs we good at
and which are appreciated by those who don't quite have the knack of it yet.

Another job we'd like to do someday is be in charge of lost and found. On
our first caravan, we noticed odd things were found, i.e. size 50 brassiere.
There was no woman that size with our caravan. When the Caravan Leader asked
for a report to the group that night, the "find" turned into a comedy show.
Lesson learned. Make sure we have a "find" that is legitimate and not too
embarassing to discuss in front of a group (or someone will stand up, bring
us something she found and then it's our turn to deal with it).

Six weeks is a long time, you say. At the end of the six weeks, it would not
surprise me if your comment was, "Where did the time go?" Bottom line.
Spring for the trip and have a grand time on it. Sure, there will be one or
two "grumps" or even a "dunderhead," but those people are everywhere. Pick
out people who are having a good time and make sure you get to know them a
little or a lot, but don't trail with them exclusively. Mix and match is the
game. Get to know everyone by name and at least, laugh at one of their jokes
(or tell them one of yours).

Hooo Raaahhh - Caravan America,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net