[A/S] Re: Turbo Brake story

Harvey;

I had the turbo brake installed last week.  It seems
that the service rep I had talked to about it when I
bought the truck in November had embellished a little
about its stopping power.

The system engages and disengages at 43mph.  We're
taking the A/S to Kerrville this next weekend, so I
should get a reasonable idea how it works then.  Since
I never had exhaust brakes, I don't have anything to
compare it with.  There is a little whirring noise
when you first turn it on, and when the thing is
retarding the engine.

I like the retardation it provides on the freeway.  At
70mph there is a definite slowing when you let off of
the accelerator - there is a 3 second delay.

The surprise was this little black box is installed on
the cabside firewall.  I actually opened the hood for
the first time - the good accountant that I am - and
looked for it amongst all those wires and other
thihngs I know nothing of.  The other surprise was
that the dealer tried to mark the price up some $250,
from the $400 he had paid.  After an exchange of
expectations he understood my point, and I paid for
the labor and his cost for the part.

I'll post when we get back from Kerrville on how it
behaved with the trailer.  I'm not sure that it's
exactly what I expected, but then again I'm not
exactly sure just what I expected either.

tom may
31' Excella
'02 F250 PSD