Re: [A/S] 7 way Plug

Trapper,
  You should use either a solid-state isolator in your truck or a relay.
I personally prefer the latter, for several reasons, but it's important
to use one that's heavy enough. If the trailer battery is "low" when the
relay energizes, the contacts can weld. A typical scenario is to back
the truck to the trailer, hitch up, connect the umbilical cable, then
shut off the truck while completing the 'getting ready to go' chores.
Unbeknownst to you, the relay contacts welded, and the trailer pulls the
truck battery low enough that you won't get started.

The problem with the isolators is that they must carry all the current
from the alternator, for both the truck AND the trailer. They cause a
slight voltage drop, which can cause inadaquet charging to both batteries.

I use a unit that looks like a Ford starter relay ("solenoid") that can
handle over 100 amps and has a continous-duty coil. It's connected
directly to the truck battery through a 40-amp auto-reset circuit breaker.

My connector is wired according to specs; even though the round pin
appears to be able to handle more current than the others, the ground
wire is still a flat-blade connection. Equal current flows through both
'hot' and 'ground', so it makes no difference. If you want to seriously
charge your trailer batteries, you need a LOT heavier wire anyway, it
should be #4 welding cable and a forklift battery connector, seperated
from the standard umbilical. The wire in the latter, and the associated
wiring in the truck and trailer simply isn't heavy enough to do a good
job. The slight voltage drop fools the alternator regulator into
thinking the batteries are fully charged, so the alternator shuts down
too early.

                                    <<Jim>>