[A/S] Squarestream and Argosy questions and answers...from an owner

I just rejoined this group a couple of days ago and REALLY like
the "search" feature of Yahoo.  After searching and reading many
posts about the "Squarestream" and seeing lots of incorrect
information, I thought I would chime in with what I have discovered
after almost seven years of research.

Back in 1995, I began looking for info on the company and products.
Many Airstreamers gave me TONS of valuable info which was not
otherwise available at that time.  Most of this became the basis for
my Airstream History web site at www.calldon.com/air.htm which I
promote shamelessly.  (The site is in the process of an update so
check back in a few weeks).

ARGOSY...this info is open for discussion but THIS is what I have
been told over the last seven years...

The factory had some blemished aluminum which could not be used for
the classic Airstreams.  So, someone came up with the idea to produce
a second trailer, a painted Airstream.  The original Argosy was made
from 1973 until the second fuel crunch in 1979.

You can read more about it on my Airstream History web site.
www.calldon.com/air.htm  (Shameless plug)

By the mid-1980s, the RV market had evolved along with RV technology
to the point that the Airstream "share of the market" had dwindled.
SO...the "powers that be" decided to create a "SQUARE" Airstream to
capture more of the traditional market.  The result???

In 1986, they RE-introduced the ARGOSY, a pseudo-square painted
Airstream of bonded aluminum, NOT fiberglass.  (The motorhomes were
fiberglass.)  It was more square than the classic Airstream but still
had rounded edges, no 90-degree angles.  AND...it was BONDED
ALUMINUM!!!  Wonderful Airstream quality in a more traditional,
bonded-aluminum trailer.

FIFTH WHEELS???

During this time, they produced a bonded-aluminum  fifth-wheel
version of the ARGOSY and, later, the Airstream LAND YACHT.  IMHO,
they are nice trailers.  I would LOVE to own an "Airstream 5th wheel"
for 1) the quality and 2) the uniqueness.

I have some photos of the Argosy Fiver from a brochure and, thanks to
John Hilty, some good photos of a "Squarestream" Fiver.  These will
be added to www.calldon.com/air.htm in a few days.

WHY DID IT DIE???

From 1986 to 1988 it was known as the Argosy.  From 1989 to 1991,
they stripped the beige paint (or painted it silver) and called it
(how original) the AIRSTREAM LAND YACHT!  But, it was still the
bonded aluminum underneath.

They did produce a slightly different squarestream of which I have a
photo to add to the Airstream History web site.  But I believe they
only made a few of them.  It had very square corners!

With every "model year," the retail price was raised.  By 1991, a
bonded-aluminum, Airstream Land Yacht "Squarestream" was retailing
for about the same as the Classic Airstream.  If you know
Airstreamers, they don't want a square trailer, especially for the
same price!  So, they died.  Too bad.  It was a wonderful product
with NOTHING like it on the market.  The "squarestream" had all of
the Airstream quality but offered more interior room, more cabinet
space, yet, due to the rounded corners, was as easy to tow as the
classic Airstream.

IMHO, good ole "American management style" killed-off the square
Argosy/Airstreams at a time when the company could have capitalized
on the public's desire for a QUALITY aluminum trailer in a more
traditional style.