[A/S] Re: Exhaust brake question

Me either Roger. I had to do it too.

<< But....I'm curious about exhaust brakes.  I've read that some of
you have the BD system, and some have another.  Who prefers what? and
why? >>

I have been interested in this also. I am told that there are forums
at http://www.ford-diesel.com where these things are discussed.
Additionally look at http://www.dieselpage.com/ and check out both
the BD and Wastern Diesel exhaust brakes. The Western Diesel system
is actually a control module that uses the existing exhaust
restriction valve (the one that makes that hissing sound on a cold
warmup) rather than installing another butterfly valve in the exhaust
pipe. The current model is on sale at $365, quite a bit more
reasonable than a BD setup at $695 and apparently it is approved by
Ford. I am told by the sales manager at Diesel Injection Service in
Dallas that the current model is being phased out and in a couple of
weeks the new model will sell for about $300 and add a lockup feature
in the lower gears. Right now when you let of the throttle in 3rd you
will note that the tach goes to idle even if you are doing 45 mph.
With the new unit it would be locked to the rear wheel speed as it is
in 4th/OD. I am considering this route myself, but will get more
input prior to making a decision.

John H.
'02 F250 PSD
'90 Excella 25'