[A/S] Re: Blue Tanks

Greg,
I bought one of these 15 gal blue tanks and have never used it.  It seemed
like a good idea at the time, but it turns out that I either camp where there
are hookups, so I don't need it, or I camp where there is no dump station
(usually dog shows), so it is useless -- other than to store 15 gals of grey
water until I get to a dump station.  A full 15 gal tank would be too heavy
for me to lift into the truck bed.  That brings me to my other solution,
which is working out very well for me.  I found some 5 gal soft plastic
greywater tanks, with appropriate hose fittings and shutoff valves, and
bought four of them.  This increases my total grey water capacity to 36
gallons (20 in the portables plus 16 in the holding tank), which has proven
to be adequate for a four-day dog show.  I also like the fact that, when
empty, these portable tanks fold flat and fit in the trunk compartment of the
Airstream.

The downside, which I consider minor, is that you have to monitor the dump
process a bit more, switching tanks as each one gets full.  There is no
problem with spillage from overfilling, because of the shutoff valves.
They're also clear so you can see when they are almost full.    The other
drawback is they are difficult to pick up -- they come with a handle attached
to the screw-on lid.  Using this handle to lift a full tank has occasionally
resulted in the handle and lid popping off and the contents spilling.  So, I
pick them up by the sides and bottom, not the handle.  I intend to fashion a
rope sling that will make this easier.

Just another solution for you to consider.  I bought the portables from
Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA.  I have also learned that my 20 gal blackwater
tank fills very slowly, and rarely is more than a quarter full after a
weekend.  I have plastic dishpans that fit into the bowls of my double sink,
and I can wash dishes in these, then dump the dishwater down the toilet to
save a little greywater capacity.

Mary Hudson
'78 Ambassador 29'