Re: [A/S] novice

Hi Jack,

I'm glad you brought up that point. As you know, I get our Airstreams
serviced all over the continent. In the beginning, I didn't know the good
guys from all the others. For awhile, I stuck to Airstream dealers, but
eventually, I needed service where none were nearby.

As a result, I've learned that people who service other brands of travel
trailers, utility trailers and horse trailers (especially those with RV
accommodations) are quite capable.  There are others on that list.

Another option is when I see a car or truck dealership with one or two
travel trailers in the yard, I figure there's a good chance that dealership
will have RV mechanics on staff. The Dodge dealer in Pensacola, FL is one
such example. They even have an entire building set aside for RV repairs.

When a dealer drops the Airstream franchise, they usually keep their
mechanics (including those who are Airstream certified).  This is one of the
reasons to keep a yearly list of Airstream dealers. They come and they go,
but their employees are usually still there and can work on my Airstream.

Another thing I've learned is that when I find a serviceman who does a good
job for me, if I ask for him by name the next time I need service, I'll get
a good job done a second time. I like that and I track down the owner and
tell him.

At some dealerships where I trade, they know I'll be asking for a specific
mechanic. And yes, I tip mechanics who do good work for me.  The way I do it
is to xerox the bill a few days later and send it and my tip to him in the
mail (at the dealership) marked "personal." It doesn't take long for that
mechanic to consider me "his customer."

Unless I'm between a rock and hard place, I look upon "no appointments until
next week" and "scheduling backlogs" as opportunities to go hunting for
other options. One of the easiest ways to gain insight into who can do what
in a town is to ask local business owners, chamber of commerce employees,
any of the local lodge members (Elks, Masons), any school bus garage manager
and any minister or priest.  Sometimes I really luck out. Other times, I
don't. But, when I do, I return to the referral source and personally thank
them.

Each of us has to figure out how to best meet our own needs. Just because
I'm comfortable doing this kind of leg work and don't get bent out of shape
when I run into a stone wall, doesn't mean I think others should do the
same.

Or to paraphrase Joe E. Lewis, I only live once, but if I work it right,
once will be enough.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net