Re: [A/S] Candy finished Airstreams

I bought the '48 Trailwind about 16 months ago, intending to pull it with
the (yes, purple) Prowler. It soon became clear, however, that the Prowler's
towing limit (1,000 lbs) would not permit it. I did, however, find an '83
Burro (just under 13') which i've rigged to tow with the PurpleCat. I've
painted it 'silver', temporarily. Going to re-paint it with Rustoleum
'Aluminum' for a brighter finish, then plan on painting a two-tone scheme
with 'Prowler Purple' as the second tone.

By the way, I've installed an Ultima2020 brake controller in the Prowler,
beefed up the hitch with a 2" ball, and added an e-z lift friction anti-sway
bar, and the Burro tows like a dream, even up and over the Sierras.

Last January, I found what i thought was a 1950 Willys/Overland 'Jeepster'
that had been re-powered with a Buick V6 to use as a puller for the
Trailwind... later learned that the car started out as a '49, and had been
rather severely butchered during the '70's-era 're-power'. Decided to
hot-rod it with a '90's V8/700R4, power steering, ac, beefed up rear-end,
and add 2" hitch receivers fore and aft. To the casual observer, however, it
will be indistinguishable from a late-model ('50-'51) Jeepster. Likewise,
the Trailwind will be restored to its original 'pipe-frame' appearance, but
will in fact be mounted on a brand-new (aluminum square-tube) ladder-frame
with an new Henschen dura-flex suspension, and contain an hidden a/c unit
and 4kW propane-fired genset. Tongue-mounted ASME (horizontal) 40# propane
tank will complete the illusion of a late '40's Airstream.

Timeline's been extended somewhat - I'd hoped to have this latter rig on the
road early next year; we'll see when it actually happens.

Tuna
'48 Trailwind/'49 FrankenJeepster
Reno, NV
WBCCI#8862/VAC