Re: [A/S] Classic Motorhome for sale

Hi Jack,

Tell you friend that I had a number of calls today and the first one
early this morning ended in a sale. So with that in mind, I will say
a word or two about the MH for the edification of the trailerites on
the List.

The coach is on a Chevrolet P30 chassis and it is the third a/s MH I
have had on this chassis. That chassis is built like the proverbial
brick outhouse and is well suspended on air bags. I have not nor
would I know what kind of suspension work to do on one. In contrast,
I had an Ultra Star on a Oshkosh chassis and for the two years I
owned it I talked to suspension people about making it a better ride
and drive. Never succeeded.

The transmission is a Chevrolet RM 400 (don't hold me to the RM)
tranny that they put in their light trucks and most transmission
people will tell you it has two merits: 1) it is very dependable and
2) it is inexpensive to replace or rebuild compared to other
transmissions.

The Isuzu is a 6 cyl straight in line engine that has a good track
record and is well respected. How long will it last?  Who knows.
But, before the Dodge Cummins, they were saying the same thing about
this engine as they now say about the Cummins, "It'll last longer
than the vehicle that its in."
Its noisier than a gasoline engine, but to a diesel guy, that's a
sweet sound.

I have an Excella trailer as well as the MH and have reason to
simplify my life. We started with a Bambi in the early 70s, had an
Argosy 20' doodle bug MH, went to an a/s 24' MH, and later the
Isuzu, with a/s trailers and SOBs in-between. Many of them were
fixer uppers that fell my lot to rescue. I loved every one of them.

The interest of others in this subject, is partly begging the
question that is sometimes discussed on this list, that of
trailering vs motor homing. Having been back and forth a couple of
times I have figured that out, for us. But I will save that
dissertation for a later thread

Thanks for asking,

Steele