[A/S] Results from Service.

Well we got the Safari back from its first service
trip with mixed results.  The dealer built a sheet
metal baffle plate (about 5 " high)  which covers the
base of the refrigerator inside the access
compartment. door.  They also found the gas pressure
slightly low.  End result (from the drive home), the
burner now stays lit.

They had to replace the power jack due to it blowing
fuses.  Apparently they found a stripped gear on the
jack (Airstream contends that improper installation of
the head causes this problem and is not under
warranty).  I had to pull the head earlier to get the
trailer off my hitch because jack would only go up not
down.  I was supplied with no manual and apparently
did not install the head properly (resynchronize the
gears).  Thankfully the jack was dead when I attempted
to hitch up at the dealer and at that point they
pulled out the old unit.

The air conditioner stills seems to be a major
problem.  As expected the unit was tested and was
performing to specs.  The dealer cleaned and
straightened some fins (shouldn't be needed on a new
unit in my opinion) and then did his testing.  He
noted that he ran it in full sun while the temp was in
the 90's and that the trailer showed inside temps of
72 degrees.

I took it home and plugged in and the best it would do
on a 90 degree day was 80 inside.  This is the same
performance that I had on an earlier trip where the
unit can only hold a 10 degree spread when out in full
sun.  I looked at the thermostat on the furnace and
noticed that the thermometer side showed 72 degrees.
A brought out a second digital thermometer and it
concurred with my other digital unit that it was 80
inside. So much for the reliability of that
thermometer (although I have never had a trailer where
this could be trusted).

I called today and asked him what he used to check
inside temp and he said the thermometer on the furnace
thermostat.  So at this point I've sent an email off
to Airstream to see what they think at this point.
I'm somewhat convinced that the Duo-Therm unit may be
undersized but I can't believe that others wouldn't
have the same complaint.  Frankly I'm puzzled as to
what other cause there can be.  Especially when the
unit seems to pass the diagnostic tests.

Jack