Re: [A/S] Re: The Long Long Trailer

Ted,
Glad to see that the movie didn't scare you off.
 It is a very funny movie - I remember even as I was laughing hard I was
having a real anxiety attack. I had been over Tioga Pass with my folks. It's
not an experience I would want to repeat and certainly seems would be
impossible with a trailer of any length - at least back then.  I've always
wondered how they made that movie - it was very realistic but I'm sure they
weren't really on Tioga Pass with the trailer hanging out in thin air. I
doubt that the pass has been improved on much - not without millions of
dollars and a lot of mountain cutting.

About the rock collecting - Tom and I drove via the I-80 rte to Maine from
Calif  and ret'd thru the Southern Rte. We were in a Studebaker Avanti and
the small back seat and very small trunk were loaded with our luggage and
some camping equipment.  I collected small rocks everywhere I could and the
car was getting pretty well loaded down.  Then we stopped at the Petrified
Forrest and I bought some pieces of petrified wood, including a round piece
of tree trunk (about 13" across). You should have seen Tom's face as the guy
put that large piece of 'rock' behind my carseat. He did one of Desi's
'burns' but didn't say a word.

Ahh - memories!
-Norma

PS: I still have the large piece of petrified tree. I wonder if they quit
selling those pieces. I believe they sold only bits and pieces from the
perimeter of the "forest" but even so....