[A/S] Re: hello & flooring repair

Sorry if this gets posted twice...It didn't post the first time I
sent it.

I actually just started the same type of repair on my 59 Overlander.
I have to replace 3 full sheets of plywood flooring.

If at all possible use the Penetrating Epoxy as others suggested.

If you however, need to completely replace the plywood here's the
steps I took:

1.  Remove the interior aluminum panels around the rotted area by
drilling out the rivets using a 1/8 inch drill.  This will expose the
anchor bolts in the wall channels used to secure the walls to the
floor.

2.Remove the anchor bolts or any other fasteners (mine has nails and
screws as well)from the wall channel.  This will require a wrench or
hacksaw, pliers.

3. Remove the Old rotted plywood keeping it,if possible, to use as a
pattern for the new plywood.  You may want to paint the trailer frame
members or install new insulation at this point

4.Purchase new flooring rated plywood.  This should be the same
thickness as what you removed and the highest quality you can find.

5. Using the old plywood or a cardboard pattern, cut the new plywood
to the correct size.  If you are doing a full 8 foot width you may
need to cut the board into 2 pieces so that you can get it laid under
the wall channels of the trailor.  Try to cut along a major frame
member so it can be secured on all edges.

6. Lay the plywood in the trailor and mark where the anchor bolts
should go through the plywood.

7. Purchase new anchor bolts and the specialized nuts to match that
have metal spikes (cleats)that you can hammer into wood so the nut
stays fixed to the plywood.

8. Remove the plywood and drill holes into which you will hammer the
nuts for the new anchor bolts.  Make sure you hammer these in through
the bottom.
9.  Painting or applying urethane to the plywood at this point may
help prevent seperation or rot.

10. Next lay the new flooring with the anchor bolt nuts installed.
Secure it with liquid nails, the new anchor bolts, and then drill
pilot holes into the frame.  Through these install sheet metal screws.

10. Reinstall the aluminum interior skin using aluminum pop rivets
and a pop rivet gun (very easy and relatively cheap).

As an alternative to this process you could remove the belly pan
which would allow you to use conventional nuts on the new anchor
bolts.

You could also completely remove the aluminum shell from the trailor
frame and install new flooring. But that is a huge project

Feel free to email me if you need clarification.  Also keep in mind
the construction of you Overlander may be slightly different.

Hope this helps

Kevin