Re: [A/S] Tires

Don,

I don't know about Carlisle tires but the price is good.  I assume you know
to check the DOT code on the sidewall before you let the dealer mount the
tires?  DOT code is the date of manufacture, a three digit number which
identifies the week and year the tire was molded.  In other words,  201
would be the 20th week of 2001.  Unfortunately, it could also be the 20th
week of 91, or even 81.  Don't let them install old stock that has been
sitting around in a warehouse for two years.  That happens sometimes and the
tires usually fail prematurely because the rubber has deteriorated.

Your worry about jacking is valid.  When I've had tires installed I've
either taken the wheels to the tire shop or jacked up my own trailer in the
parking lot and removed the wheels myself.  A little fanatical I guess but
better safe than sorry.  The blocks are handy to have with you at all times
when you're traveling so cutting them now and using them for the new tire
installation would be handy.

If you closely supervise the guy with the jack and ensure a block of wood is
used between the jack pad and trailer, you'll probably be safe.  But don't
let them place the jack pad directly against the belly skin because the four
raised points on most jack pads will puncture the skin before the rest of
the pad lifts the frame.

Harvey