[A/S] Russell Stover

Hi Fellow Airstreamers,

After a quiet night in Kansas at the Flying J Truck Stop (away from the trucks), we rolled into the
Ford Dealer this morning. Per our evolving pattern, the Ford Dealer was too busy to fit us in, but
among his suggestions was the NAPA Car Care Center. As before, NAPA was cordial, cooperative and I
found out later, competent. The squeeling sound wasn't the idler pulley after all.

The support bracket to the power steering pump was loose and allowed the new belt to slip and
squeel. The NAPA mechanic told me the reason for the loose bracket was because it had become
distorted over the years from not always being tightened properly (difficult to reach) and the bolt
hole in the bracket had become elongated .

Guess what? Yup, the bolt is unlikely to remain tight for long, thus, there's a continuing
possibility for squeeling. That is, unless I can find an undistorted bracket without an elongated
hole from another 23 year old engine like mine - in a junk yard. There must be other options. Sooner
or later, they'll become evident and one of them will be more realistic.

When the mechanic first saw our van and got into it, he said, "I see you have one of the last big
dogs. They don't make work horses like this anymore." I had never heard our Van described that way.
When I told him I was considering buying a new Van, he said, "Why would you do that?" Guess I
haven't been appreciative enough of this "big dog."

Later this morning, a temporary lift in the severe weather alert meant we could keep traveling east.
All was going along just fine until suddenly, the Russell Stover Factory billboard appeared. Did you
know their parking lot is large enough for a caravan of Airstreams? If we ever bring a group of
Airstreamers this way, we'll stop here.

Inside the store, Sandie and I saw one pound boxes of selected chocolates on sale for 50% off. Best
of all, we saw a Manager's Specials with 3# boxes of assorted chocolates for $4.95. The size of our
refrigerator became very relevant, very quickly (85 degree tempertures can do that when chocolate is
involved).

Tonight, we're at a County Park in Missouri where the Cg Host just told me that another severe
weather alert has been posted for later tonight. He was right. After midnight the heavens opened and
it sounded like the rat-a-tat-tat of wet boxing gloves pounding on our roof. I looked out and saw
slushy chunks (like small snow balls) of what hadn't yet become hail. If this is how Spring comes to
the Central States, we're not impressed.

It's beginning to feel like we're playing tag with Mother Nature's storms. The difference is she can
tag us with more force than we can handle. Our only chance is to stay out of her way or hide. The
best sources of weather information for us are our barometer, the NOAH broadcasts on our CB radio,
the weather channel on our satellite system, the AM/FM radio (when there's a local signal) and a few
things we've learned from years of mountain climbing in New York's Adirondacks.

Still chugging along,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net