[A/S] radial or bias?

Some weeks ago there was talk about radial tires being installed in
place of bias belted tires. There was beleif that wheels would fail.
I wondered if all I read was correct. I have a 78 AS X with alum
wheels that needs new tires. I called a manufacturer of Mag or Alum
wheels and asked if there was a differance in wheels between bias and
radial tires. The answer was No. All wheels used in this country have
to pass the same Federal DOT tests. It doesn't matter if there made
of steel, alum, mag, or peanut brittle or how they are used. They all
must meet the same federal specs.
  I then called the consumer "hotline" maintained by tire
manufacturer, Kelly Springfield. I asked if there is a differance
between in wheels used for radial tires and bias belted tires. He
said I'll check it out and call back. He did in about one hour.He
said that in the middle 60's when radial tires started to show up in
this country, there was concern about wheel integrity. He said that
for a short time a few wheels appeared that were marked "for bias
tires only" But they were few and by the 70's all wheels were for
dual use. I don't think any of us had to buy differant wheels for our
car or truck when we bought radials. Another interesting thing is
that most 6 ply tires have a load capacity of approx 1800 lbs. while
most 235 X 15 75 radials are rated at approx 2150 lbs. when inflated
above 35 lbs.
  I then called our local Goodyear distributor. (not dealer) I asked
about using radials in place of bias on my trailer. No problem, but
he did go on to say that a radial trailer tire does differ from a
radial car or truck tire in one way. A radial trailer tire has belts
that cross each other at an angle like a bias, and radial a passenger
tire has straight belts. The angled belts stiffen the side walls and
reduce "sway" when towing. I have never had that problem, but I have
a Reese Dual Cam Sway Control.
   On a personal basis, I have a 63 Chev 1/2 ton and have been using
radial tires on it for 15 years on the OEM wheels with out any
problems.
   Now don't run out behind the garage where you put the old tires
from the pickup and put them on your trailer on my say so. I'm only
repeating what I was told.
   If some one has had a wheel failure after installing radials in
place of bias, possibbly another proplem was present.

                                        Arnie