[A/S] mattress

Has anyone tried to replace the cushions with a futon mattress?  We have a
1963 Airstream Globetrotter and it has two sofas, whose frames pull out to
make a bed.  I was going to have the cushions reupholstered... but the foam
is just too brittle.  As an alternative, I am checking in to using a futon
(full size) instead.  Our Globetrotter is  across town - so will try and
measure the open bed frame and see if this is an option.  If it works, it
will be much less expensive and a quick solution.  Plus, the area store says
he can have futon mattresses custom made if we need it a different size.

Thanks, Mary in KS