Re: [A/S] Deadbolt Installation

Hi Mike,

Your idea of putting a deadbolt in your '72 31' International makes sense for many reasons. The
background I have for doing it is my recollection of how it was done on our '77 31' Excella 500.

Nearly 10 years ago, we had a deadbolt installed in our Airstream by another Airstreamer who
specialized in installing Airstream deadbolts. He always attended the International Rallies where he
took appointments to install deadbolts. We made an appointment and he did the job. It took him about
an hour. He had a motor scooter that towed a little trailer full of deadbolts and power tools. He
did the work at our campsite while we and dozens of other Airstreamers looked on.

To date, that deadbolt continues to work like a charm - dozens of times per day. I always use it
instead of the lock in the door handle. And, when the outside door is open, I use it to lock the
screen door. A fringe benefit of using it to lock the screen door is the lock's location. It is
difficult to reach from outside and any intruder's arm would be extremely vulnerable.

But, back to your topic - the deadbolt's location. If memory serves me correctly, our installation
was very similar to the procedure you described - with one exception. The location of our deadbolt
is above the Airstream's door handle/lock by approximately twelve inches. When looking at the
deadbolt from inside, the mechanism is directly above the two light switches that control the inside
light over the kitchen sink and the outside light directly above the door. Other than that, your
description sounds like what I saw done.

The man on the scooter doesn't come to the International Rallies any more. I don't know what became
of him. Perhaps someone on this message board knows.

In the meantime, you might call Oasis RV (800) 658-5863 and ask if they have the factory manual for
your 1972 - if you don't already have one. When I was in Oasis yesterday, I saw a 1970s manual (with
the blue cover) for sale, but I don't recall which year. It might be a 1972 manual. Even if it
isn't, you may want to talk to them about your installation plans.

Sooo - check the structural details in the manual, search the VAC archives for what others have
done, refine your plan some more and your deadbolt installation will go fine.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net

PS - Email me direct if you strike out on the manual. I may have another source.