[A/S] Re: Bambi and flat tires

Rachel:

     Yes, a couple of years ago we had a flat tire on our 1972
LandYacht Safari single-axle TT.  The tire disentegrated, but not much
else happened.  We stopped smoothly, on the remains of the tire,
pulled well off of I-75S (In Kentucky, only half on the emergency lane
since the terrain permitted us to pull way off), and changed the tire.
 Jacking the trailer up was something else - I had a scissors jack,
but needed more jacking range, so I had to jack it up, place a
jackstand, block the jack up some more, place the jackstand higher,
block the jack up some more, etc.  I finally got the trailer high
enough to remove the tire and replace with the spare.  It only took
about 1/2 hour or so.
     The scary part was the passing traffic.  Although we were well
off the road, and our position was well marked with trucker's
triangles and cones, many people simply continued in the right lane,
including many trucks and almost all RVs.  The trailer would sway a
lot as the air blast hit it, but it held because it was still
connected and was well chocked.
     I found that if a truck was approaching, if I made a "thumbs up"
sign, they would shift lanes.  Some RVers also responded this way, and
a few auto drivers.
     There was significant damage to the wheel well from the flat, but
not threatening damage, so we continued on our way.  We later took the
trailer to Jackson Center, Ohio, to the AS factory, and they managed
to repair the wheel well at modest cost.
     There was no damage to the wheel or braking system so far as I
could tell.  We did lose the electric brakes sometime later (different
trip) , but don't believe that was connected to the flat.

- Dick
(5368)