Re: [A/S] Re: Chev and Fords

Dick,
 Thanks for the confirmation. I know folks with the THM 400 who have told me
this, but have no direct experience with it.

The THM 700 R4 is different; I worked in a plant for several years where we
remanufactured that trans as an OEM for General Motors. A friend retired
from the Hydramatic plant in Toledo, OH and he was the "factory expert" that
went out to train dealers' mechanics, troubleshoot the 'problem jobs', etc.
He's very, very knowlegable about that unit and has told me to never, ever
tow in O.D. with one.

A friend has a Blazer with the 700 R4, and he and I overhauled it because of
a minor problem. So, besides seeing LOTS of 'em in pieces, I've had my own
hands in the transmission oil. If everyone could look inside one of those
things, he'd be lots more careful on the throttle. By looking at the
innards, you "just know" that it can't handle the loads imposed. Lots of
those parts are downright SMALL for what they're asked to do.

                                                               <<Jim>>