Re: [A/S] 18 footers (trying to figure out what I have)

You have one of what Airstream called "their 18 footers".  I've seen 2
brochures now using that title - no other model name on it.  Prior to
1961 and the beginning of the "corporate Airstream Co.", model names
were loose & casual, and were rarely seen on the trailer or title,
existing instead on a price or option sheet. Not all trailers were made
at both plants, and catalogs and wholesale lists reflect only the ones
made at that particular plant, and reflected the preferences of the
region - even with model names!  On that 18 foot live axle frame from
1953 to 1960, Airstream had at one time or another a Pacer, Wanderer,
Traveler, Caravel & Globetrotter, varying by only the options, interior
layouts and subsequent window arrangements.

So, where next?  I'm working trying to sort out the 18 foot trailers
(17' 6"+/-) of the 1950's for two reasons. One, to fix the model page on
my website ( http://VintageAirstream.com/archives ) that will be
eventually transferred to the VAC website, and secondly, Krista (wife)
wants one for the very reason you pointed out - front dinette and
permanent bed as our next restoration project.

An example of the craziness, the OH plant made an 18' Wanderer starting
with a serial # of O-2000.  That same year CA was making an 18' Traveler
starting with a serial # of 4000.  Same silly trailer!  It's kinda like
how bread and mayonaise used to have different names east & west of the Rockies.

Herb & Pat aren't 100% of their Traveler designation, so I'm helping
them out in addition to 5 others who have "18 footers" I've met via
rallies and my website.

So, how do we solve this mystery?

1) ID all the know candidates by serial #, CA or OH, window layout &
original interior layout.  I've done that with 9 trailers now.  For
example, Herb's is 18D01XX, CA made and I have pictures of there
exterior and interior.  (I haven't posted it to the archive site until
sure of what it is, and I have doubt's about the Pacers and Wanderers I
do have on the site)

2) match this database of info to the catalogs, brochures, price lists
etc. of the era.  Fred Coldwell, the VAC Document Historian, is
collecting good quality scans, or is borrowing the originals to scan,
for posting to the VAC archives so everyone can view them (VAC members).
 If anyone has such information, please contact him at agrijeep@aol.com.

Then we should be able to put together a matrix of how to recognize
each.  I'm finishing up the mid fifties "Bubbles" now.

What is the serial number of your trailer?  Can you supply any pictures,
digital or print?  Contact me at off-line at
radiodial@home.com

As for everyone else, if you have any 18 footer info, contact me also.
If anyone has documents for the archive, contact Fred Coldwell.  Watch
my archive site, and eventually the VAC site (http://airstream.net) for
the info in database form.

RJ Dial
VintageAirstream.com