[A/S] English-metric conversions; 2 winterizing questions

     It's gratifying to see so many metric-knowledgeable people on
list.  A minor point:  While we tend to use the more convenient
'liter' for engine discussions, I note that manufacturers (at least
GM
does) list the displacement in cubic centimeters, or cc. (1000 cc = 1
liter).  Since an inch is *defined* (in the US) to be exactly 2.54
cm,
the conversion from cc to cu. in. is very direct:  1 cu. in. =
(2.54)^3 = 16.387064 cc.  Divide by 1000 to get liters.

Winterizing Q-1:

     This week, Jane and I put our trailer on a storage site at ToG.
We did our best to follow advice from AS, from Fred Tinsel, and from
Jim Dunmyer on the steps involved.  After completing the procedure, I
replaced the spare tire with a new Marathon by putting the trailer up
on one of those ramp things CW sells (works great).  However, I
noticed that with the trailer tilted up sideways, I got a new gush of
water from the open line drains beneath the trailer.  This has me
wondering (and worrying).  Is this water released by the sideways
tilt
of the trailer, or perhaps from the front-to-back tilt? I did notice
that the hitch stand prevented us from getting the front of the
trailer fully lowered when draining the lines, although the Hensley
hitch would only have allowed about another 3 inches because of the
spring bars.  I think I'll go back up there soon, remove the spring
bars to get a full lowering, and do the routine again.

Winterizing Q-2:

     Jim stresses that we should open the faucets one at a time while
blowing air into the shore-water connection, to get the benefit of
the full pressure (Jim:  I checked the AS manual, and they state 60
psi as a minimum pressure to use).  However, I'm told that the hot
water tank drain should be open.  This has me a bit confused.  If the
HWH drain is open, will I still get any pressure on the lines to blow
out the water?  My brother-in-law tried it without the HWH drain
open,
and blew his HWH tank, which had to be replaced.  Does anyone have
any
ideas here?

     We've been doing this tilt-and-blowout method for 5 years on our
'72 trailer and one year on our '95, with success.  Have I just been
lucky?

- Dick
(5368)