[A/S] newbie questions

Hi.  I just found this list yesterday.  Wow. What a resource!  I
spent
about three hours yesterday reading the threads.  And printing.

A little background about myself, and then on to the questions.  :)
bought a school bus about 2 years ago and converted it onto a
motorhome.  I put in all brand new appliances and furnishings.  I
have
decided after using it for the better part of two seasons that I
would
prefer to tow a trailer rather than drive a motorhome.  So I started
looking at new travel trailers. :(  I was not impressed with the
build quality I found.  I was rather depressed about the whole thing.
Then I remembered Airstreams.  I have stayed in Airstreams on a
couple of occasions, and was surprised at the condition for the age.
So I decided that I will buy an older Airstream that has a good
shell,
and gut my bus out and put all my new "stuff" in the Airstream.

OK, now the questions.  I purchased a '96 Suburban 1/2 ton, 350 for
the purpose of towing.  I prefer to buy a 31' trailer.  Has anyone
used the 1/2 ton Sub to tow a 31 footer?  Would you recommend it?

I have found a 1973 Land Yacht Sovereign for sale.  It has been
sitting for a long, long time.  The gentlemen selling it indicated
that the shell was in good condition, with no gouges or scrapes.  And
that the clearcoat was peeling(surprise, surprise).  He said said
that
the floor had no soft spots.  It is a rear twin bed config.  I am
planning to build bunks on one side and a small dinette on the other
for the chil'uns.  Anything else I should watch for?  I know that I
will replace the tires and bearings before it moves.  I am planning
on
installing a brake controller before we pick it up.  There is an
Airstream dealer about a hundred miles from where the trailer is so I
thought I would would take it there and have it checked out.  I am
not
particularly concerned about the condition of the major appliances
since I will put in my new ones anyway.

Sorry this is so long.

Craig Sovereign
K0SOV