[A/S] Burnishing

Howdy all,
      I just came in from the front lines where I have been "polishing":
Polish \Pol"ish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Polished; p. pr. & vb. n. Polishing.]
[F. polir, L. polire. Cf. Polite, -ish] 1. To make smooth and glossy,
usually by friction; to burnish; to overspread with luster; as, to polish
glass, marble, metals, etc.

I feel like "burnishing" better describes the process (for me).
Getting a real shine out of aluminum is like spit shining shoes . . . it's
a slow methodical process. But there are things that can help you prepare.

First you better be dressed head to toe with old clothes or your skin and
hair will look like the tin man.

A good polisher can weigh 10-15 pounds and pack a high amount of kinetic
energy, therefore I recommend doing maybe 4-6 square yards at a
session.  Make hay while the sun is NOT shining.  It's a lot easier to
burnish when it's overcast.

Clean pads are vital.  Not a nicety . . . vital!  By doing only a bit at a
time you give yourself a chance to wash and dry the buffing pads.

As part of today's work I tested Rolite AP-300 against Mother's Carnauba
Wax, which is touted as being OK for clear coats.  The results were
clear  . . . AP-300 did a much better job of burnishing my 1966
Safari.  The side panels are almost as clear as a mirror.  Mother's wax was
easier to remove which is why I suspect it did not burnish as well as AP-300.

I am using a Black & Decker machine that has a 1/2" chuck.  I tooled a
special fitting for 5/8" screw to the chuck.  It only runs at 1300 rpm but
that seems adequate.

Any suggestions for improving this regimen.
Thanks
Bob
http://MrMinimal.com