[A/S] Aluminum wire

After thinking about it for a couple of days I now remember how the problem
was fixed. The aluminum wire was cut back to a point where only clean
undamaged wire was seen. Strip the insulation about 1/2" using a whittling
motion. Don't ring the insulation with a knife and cause a annular cut on
the wire which can cause the end to break off (always a good practice).
Buy the high quality AL/CU 'square-wire spring inserted wire nuts' to fit 2
#12 wires. Fill the wire nut with 'electrical joint compound'. Cut a length
of insulated 12 GA. copper wire to match (+ 2") the length cut out. Strip
back both ends as described above. Hold the ends of the aluminum and copper
wire together and screw the wire nut over them as tight as you can by hand.
Use the exposed end of the copper wire to connect to the NEW CU/AL device,
don't use the old device. You can do both the black and white wires but
usually only the white (ground) is affected. After the above procedure was
followed I don't recall any more problems with that device. If I had the
inner shell out of the way I would replace the wireing completly.
Phil Piper