[AirstreamList] Roseburg/Winston, OR - August 25, 2000

Hi Gang,

Well, I'm still here in Roseburg/Winston, Oregon.  I decided to stay here for
a full week.  I'm having some work done on the truck and maybe the trailer.

Roseburg is interesting... I-5 runs through it.   There are lots of farms in
the area.  It's very hilly, the hills are really small mountains, many
covered in evergreens, many with golden patches of dry grass.  There is no
green grass here. None anywhere, unless the field is constantly irrigated.
There are tons of foxtails growing, and blueberries everywhere. Some of the
fields that have been hayed have round bales tightly shrink wrapped in white
plastic.... looks like giant marshmallows sprinkled around.

The downtown is divided into two sections.  The first was built before the
blast...in the late 1800s.  Then in the center are all buildings built after
the 1960s.  What happened?  A fertilizer truck happened.. the mixture of
fermenting fertilizer and diesel fuel makes an impressive explosion.
Apparently it took out about 5 city blocks.

As you all know I had a flat on the way here so I took the trailer to Big O
Tires and got 4 new tires. I don't know why it blew and I didn't want to have
all different age tires.  I brought the trailer back to the trailer park, and
discovered now it had no brakes, Sheesh.... then I took the truck to the Ford
dealer. I had taken it in to the dealer in Olympia... they said the shocks
needed to be retorqued. I still wasn't happy. This dealer said they have
designed a better spring... so I need two new front springs. I'll take it to
the dealer when I lite in California... this dealer didn't have them.

As I was leaving there I saw a used truck lot, some of the Super Dutys had
cool wheel well trim.... I pulled in and found out where they got it done.
Then drove to the trim shop.  They "trick out" trucks..... mine goes in on
Monday.  Stainless steel rocker panels, chrome wheel well trim, body side
graphics and window tint on the two front side windows. May as well have it
done here...they have NO sales tax at all.

Then I took the dogs to a little park on the river and we climbed all over
the rocks for an hour or so..... all three of us were wet, but it was great
fun.

Then I stopped at a trailer place to have my brake controller checked, it's
fine.  I will take the trailer in there on Tuesday before I leave town to see
why I have no brakes.

This morning I set out for Coos Bay.... I drove 20 miles and turned around. I
was on the same road I would be taking Tuesday when I head for 101 so I
decided to just wait til I have the trailer... then I can stay in Coos Bay
and then hop down and stay in Gold Beach.  I like Oregon.

By coincidence, there is a big donkey and mule show this weekend at the
fairgrounds....
Yesterday afternoon I hung out there.  It hasn't started yet, but people are
already there from my Longears list.  I'll hang out there today and
Sunday..there's also a sheepdog trial here in town, so i'll go there for a
while.  Love watching Border Collies work.

So, it's been a mellow week,  Errands, vehicle stuff, laundry.  The
campground is nice.  It has many people who live here by the month or year.
Some retirees, some people working nearby.  The dogs have to be leashed so I
take them to the high school twice a day to run and play Frisbee.

I have been torn about going to Crater Lake..... have heard I should also see
Sisters and Bend.... I hate to go one way then turn around and go back.....
what to do.....

Hunter