Re: [AirstreamList] Tire problems

Hunter et al,

Had the same thing happen to me on the way to the Kutztown (Region 2)
Rally.  Replaced all four tires and managed to salvage the bent rim for
the spare.  Think my replacement Marathons were LR-D as well. (Direct
replacement of originals, have to check.)

While the tires were off I also installed a SmarTire system.  I love
it!.  If I'd had it I would have known about the flat in 20 feet instead
of 20 miles.  Very highly recommended.

I think that I will patch the wheel well with a piece of aluminum.  The
service manual says to patch coach damage with a piece 2" larger on each
side, pop rivet and silicone under the rivets.  I don't see why that
wouldn't work on the plastic of the wheel wells.  It seems that it would
require major interior ripout to replace the whole wheel well.

FWIW my mechanic says that the proper inflation can be determined by
running about ten miles at highway speed then checking temperature
across the treads.  If it's not even then add air if the middles are
cooler, let some out if edges are cooler.  Have to try it on my next
trip out. Obviously the pressure would have to be equalized on each
axle.  If one side calls for a lot more or less than the other, then
look hard at your loading.

see: www.smartire.com