The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

RE: [a/s] My First Tow: A Lesson in Fear

<snip>
The entire point of this discussion is to help the newbie get his
trailer and tow vehicle configured and equipped for safe towing. I think
we can all agree on these factors:
<snip>

I agree with your post nearly 100%.  But the point is, the origin post was
in reference to a man saying he had become closer to god over a sway
problem, and even after become closer with the man, he is still "think about
buying a better hitch with his next truck".  I think we can all agree he may
get a new truck sooner than planned.

My response was to the post that stated (or at least strongly implied) that
proper weight distribution would cure the sway problem, and it will not.
You then stated that the more and more (indicating that you could go way
past 15%) weight on the tongue the better, which I did not agree with.
Particularly for a newbie, it is bad advice, it is not simply an issue of
"the more weight the better", which is what I believe you said.

The way you have stated it in this post, is much more logical and reasonable
and is pretty good advice.  However, I would still stand on disagreeing with
you that a standard weight distribution system is enough.  It is bad advice
for anyone, particularly someone very new to towing.

Phil & Kathy Sinewe
Curtis, Marcus & Asher (the Lab)
25' Airstream #2681
mailto:phil@sinewe.com