The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [Re: [a/s] Cell Modem/ Info Request and Help Bob

I've been interested in a way to stay in touch via email while on the road...
especially when boondocking in areas that aren't likely to be accesible by
cellphone. Came upon the following article in the July/ August issue of
Escapees describing how to use ham radio, a computer, and Windows 95 or
higher. Excerpt below. If anyone is interested in the article in full, who
doesn't have access to the magazine, let me know off-list. Check out their
homepage at www.qsl.net/wa2mzf/

I also wanted to point out, for anyone who is interested in buying a computer,
that if your primarily use your computer for internet use and word processing
you don't necessarily need to worry about buying a new, powerful PC. It is
possible to store(and share from) much of your data on web-based storage
sites, maintain web-based email programs, and even maintain a web-based
desktop. In fact, for anyone accustomed to using internet cafes on the road,
you may not *need* a computer at all. For those of you interested in upgrading
from WebTV it may be possible to find a used computer for $150 that will meet
your needs. For those who are concerned about the cost of internet connection,
I highly recommend the free ISP SpyWorld. No banner ads, you simply use their
startpage(and if you like there is a way around that). Here in the Dallas area
cable service runs about $40/ month with a 6 month contract.

"Magic e-mail with no Phone" by James and Jessica Prentice #58469

"We are presenting another way of doing e-mail that we have used for almost
three years without fail. About 75 percent of the usersof this system are
boaters, 15 percent are RVers like us, and another 10 percent are people
without a phone, for whatever reason. There is no cost after the initial
investment of about $600 and no telephone is ever needed. You can send and
receive email 24 hours a day to anyone from anyplace in the world...

Equiptment needed

1. Terminal node controller: This takes the place of a modem used to connect
to a phone line. Instead of plugging into a phone line, you plug it into the
microphone connection of your radio system.

2. Antenna(s):You should have at least two.

3. Radio equiptment: This must be capable of operating in the 10-80 meter
bands. Not VHF or UHF.

Think of this: You are in the middle of Big Bend National Park or boondocked
in the desert without a phone, and you are receiving your e-mail daily.

The program, Airmail, is free and works similar to Juno in that you can
compose your e-mail offline.

You initiate your connection and have your coffee. The program will upload
your outgoing email and receive your incoming email. Then shut the link down.

This system has proved to be so reliable for us that we do not need pagers or
a cellphone."