The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Custom shelves for Airsteam

For some time I have been sleeping with a kluged Airstream table spanning
over my legs.  On top of that table was all my computer stuff.  I new that
I had to make a change and today was the day.

First check the original.
http://members.home.com/bobkiger/interior

This morning I got up and just stared at the mess.  How to route all those
wires and gadgets so they would be convenient to use during the day and
basically go out of the way at night.  One design parameter had to be that
the Airstream sliding table and leafs would remain functional.

As you may know there is a shelf under window next to the door.  The hinged
table slides under that shelf.  I figured that if I built a box shelf wider
than the tiny six incher that was existing, that I could rest it on the
existing shelf and fastening it securely would be easy.  My box shelf as I
now call it, covers the entire window and one side butts up next to the
door. The AC outlet is inside the box shelf.

It is 28 inches wide and 24 inches high.  There are two shelves and one
partition on the top shelf.  I made the entire unit today with only a
cordless drill and hand tools.  I love the cut to measurement service at
Home Depot!  I brought all the precut pieces home and then put the box
shelf together with drill, glue and wood screws.

The wood is all Oak.  Everything is solid except the two sides which I made
out of Oak plywood because I found the right size piece cheap. The entire
project,including screws cost $39.

"It fits into the unit like it has always been there."
   That's what my date for tonight said.  Wish I could find a date that fit
into the unit like she had always been there:)

Tomorrow I will photograph and try to get the picture of the box shelf onto
my website.

Night all!
Bob Kiger
myairstream@home.com is a 1966 Safari