The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] The Sinewes Take on Yellowstone

Well, let's see, where to begin.  We have been in Yellowstone for 3 days.  I
think I last wrote when we left Bismarck and the real vacation began.  On
the drive, we drove through the hail storm from H _ _ L.  Rain, thunder,
lightening banging all around us, and hail, lots of it.  No damage to the
trailer, but I sure felt sorry for the 3 motorcycles in front of us.  Not a
bridge in sight, so they drove for a good 20 minutes in rain and hail, no
choice but to keep going.

Crossing West over North Dakota, we stopped at Teddy Roosevelt National
Park.  This is the badlands.  We stopped at the entrance, unhooked the
trailer and took the 40 miles scenic drive.  It was incredible.  We saw a
few Buffalo, lots and lots of prairie dog colonies, and the valley's and
mountains were breathtaking.

The same day, it was off to Montana.  We stayed just North of Yellowstone
for a night and heading to West Yellowstone Wyoming the next morning,
7/5/00.  By the way, just North, or just anywhere in Wyoming and Montana is
several hours.  It looks close on a map, but ends up being several hours
driving.  The drive to West Yellowstone was equally as nice.  Lots of snow
capped mountains and flowing rivers.

West Yellowstone is a town on the West entrance to Yellowstone.  It is a
nice little town, being on the West side (less used) it is not too much of a
tourist trap.  Now, for those who have not been to Yellowstone, keep in mind
that the "park" is larger than the state of Delaware and Rhode Island
combined!  When you take a day trip into the park, you take a DAY trip. 200
or 300  miles is an easy typical short trip.

After getting settled at the campground, we took off for the park, still
7/5/00.  Elk are everywhere, so you see lots of them (more on that in a
minute).  There are basically two loops in the park to take, both being at
least a day trip.  We first hit most of the geysers and old faithful.  Old

faithful is nice, but many others ones are bigger and much more scenic.  One
geyser we saw only fires twice a day.  Man did it fire, it shot tons of
water into the air, and then continued to belch water for about 15 minutes.
It was like a fire works show.  Everyone was ohing and awing at the show,
thinking it was over and then another blast of water, over and over again.
Then, just like that, all quiet.  The mud pots are also very cool, plopping
and plopping mud as it bubbles.  The hot water springs sit and oozze
steaming water, most at more than 180 degrees (water boils at 199 at this
elevation).

The second day (7/6/00) we decided that we wanted to see more wild life.  We
left the campground at about 5:30 am.  In a nut shell, by 8:00 we had seen
more elk than you can count, several large herds of bison, with lots of
babies, 2 mother elk and two babies, walking on the road, no joke, 5 feet
away from the van, windows open, just looking at us.  We just sat and looked
at them, the babies looking at us like "who the heck are you guys"  We also
saw a bull Elk, huge antlers, 15 feet from the van, posing for photos as he
ate grass.  Then we saw a mama grizzly and two babies.  They were very far
away, but we saw them none the less.  Needless to saw, the bears are pretty
elusive, so we felt privileged to see them at all.  We also saw a coyote
walking the road.

We returned to the campground for a rest and lunch.  Then, about 4:30, we
headed back into the park for more sites, but first a great pizza from Wild
West Pizza.  Here is where the long trips, and misfiguring the time
requirement comes in.  We saw lots of very neat sulfur springs, and terrace
springs.  They have such cool colors (so I am told).  Being color blind,
when the colors are wonderful to me, they are really wonderful to those who
can see them!!!

Yellowstone has its own "Grand Canyon"  It is something to see.  On our way
out of the park, it started getting dark.  We had to take a road that goes
over a 9,000 foot pass.  During the trip we saw more wildlife, and the most
breathtaking sunset I have ever seen.  Multiple colors, blending into the
mountains and the clouds.  By the way, we got the rain out of the way early,
before we got here.  It has been sunny and cool, needing to turn the heat on
at night.  The furnace in July, how cool, just like the UP of Michigan.
Anyway, the trip back took 3 hours.  The mountain road was narrow (we felt
safe), but still, basically sky and dark and that was it.  It certainly kept
the driving on his toes.  Once we got to the bottom of the mountain (still a
good hour and half to go), we could only travel at about 40 mph, because we
had 4 elk prance in front of us.  One of them a huge bull.  I found it
ironic, been driving for nearly 30 years and probably have had 2 maybe 3
deer cross my path.  Now, in one night a have 4 Elk pass in front of me.  No
real near misses or anything, but still interesting.  At one point we had
this guy tailgating us (it is easy to tailgate on a BLACK mountain road,
when you are the guy behind the one breaking the darkness), so this guy
blows by use, and then, I'll be darn, he has slow down to find his way.  Any
way, not 2 minutes later, BAM, on he slams his brakes, close Elk miss!  Off
he went again, and we never saw the car again.  We got back to the trailer
at midnight.

Friday, we are going to take it a little easy, maybe take a few true short
trips.  Saturday it will be off to the Grand Tetons, which are directly
below Yellowstone, but still a good hour and a half away, at least.

The boys are having a GREAT time.  They must be having fun, they do not have
anytime to complain.  They really enjoy the trips to the park.  Asher is
also doing really well.  He rides with us and stays in the van when we stop
for sites (pets can not really leave the parking areas).  He is taking the
long drive well, and is happy to be with us.  By the way, he is 1 year old
Saturday, I guess we will be hitting the local Dairy Queen for a party!!!

OK, that's enough for now.  See you all later!!!

On the Road with:
Phil & Kathy Sinewe
Curtis, Marcus, and Asher Too!!
phil@sinewe.com