The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Lighting 1972 through 1977 AS

I have a 1976 AS 31' Sovereign and I understand the same basic lighting came standard during these years. When I bought my unit a few weeks ago the first thing I took down were the three awful yellow colored overhead light/vent covers. I ordered replacement covers and the outside vent covers from Airstream and must admit the new white covers and white plastic vent covers look pretty good installed. The partial aluminum/plastic vent cover has been replaced by AS with a complete plastic unit. The quality seems good and it provides the skylight effect of the original. However the original six 12 volt bulbs gives out a poor light even with the new covers. Has anyone had any luck replacing the six light bulbs with a 12v florescent fixture(s) installed under the original light/vent cover, or any other options that might improve the light output.

Still working on the Univolt and will let everyone that offered assistance know the results hopefully soon.

Thanks

Don Hardman