[a/s] Re: Refurbishing 1976 Airstream

Well after two days of work my A/S is looks a lot different. I removed the
couch, the two twin beds. the storage/support for the beds and couch, the
toilet, all the curtains, blinds screens and the carpet.  I had a few water
leaks, one under the kitchen sink, one under the bath sink and I am working
on them. Also the faucet in the bath and shower don't work so I will need to
replace them. The floor is solid through out and there is no major damage or
alterations throughout the interior. All of the Tambour doors work as well.
The AC and fridge are original and work just fine at this point. I guess
they are on borrowed time and I should not be surprised if they don't last
much longer. The furnace is a question mark.  Most of the duck work is
disconected or missing all together going to the back of the trailer.
However there is a catalytic heater mounted just as you enter the trailer
that seems to be fine although I have not tried it. I am not familiar with
this type of heater and would appreciate any comments on them. I have not
fired up the hot water heater and it looks to be original as well.

Concerning the furnace. I have no intentions of traveling in cold weather
and  I got by just fine with small ceramic heaters in by previous 69 A/S.
Should I go to the expense of replacing the missing ductwork and  getting
the furnace up and running while I have everthing open to work on it? Can I
even get the missing and damaged duck work?

Over the next few weeks I can start putting it back together. We are
ordering new drapes and will have the couch and beds recovered. I am still
trying to decide what to do about the floor. Carpet seems to be the logical
choice, but I would still like to have any other suggestions from the group
before I decide.

Thanks

Don Hardman
dhardman@worldnet.att.net