Re: [a/s] V6 tow vehicles

It STILL amazes me that people do this!  They are just asking for problems.
 I'm sure all those mini-van lovers (that haul Airstream's) will argue with
you all day long...but in the words of my forefathers "Never send a boy to
do a Man's job!"  I have seen it on here at least 50 times about towing
with Astro Van's, caravans...etc, etc, etc.  Me, I'll stick to my "big
rigs" - they are a LOT more trustworthy and I know with proper gearing, and
optimal towing features, my transmission/engine will love me...and I will
STILL have money in my pocket to do more traveling :o)

>I used to tow my 19' trailer with a Ford Ranger Supercab pickup with a 4
>liter V6, 5-speed manual transmission, and 4.10 gears. Since Ford rated this
>truck for a maximum trailer weight of 3,500 lbs (my trailer weighs 3,600
>dry, about 4,200 loaded) I was over my tow rating as well. To be honest the
>truck did a good job with the trailer. However, I was concerned about long
>term transmission & clutch durability (the reason for the low tow rating, an
>auto is rated at 5,600 lbs) and found out that my truck was within 100 lbs
>of it's GVWR with the trailer hooked to it. I ordered a Chevrolet Silverado
>1500 longbed regular cab. The Silverado does an outstanding job of towing my
>trailer (as well it should).

Well, glad to see you did this.  Wasn't the 4.10 ratio on the Ranger kind
of low for that type of truck?  Not sure, just asking.  You'll be MUCH
happier with the Silverado, I can promise you that.  Night/Day difference.
TRUST ME!  I TRIED to pull my old '73 Sovereign with my Chevy Astro Van
ONCE (sold the van after that!), notice I said ONCE.  Geez, louise - I
don't know how these people like it.  Mind you...the Astro van WAS equipped
w/ 3.73 gears, limited slip AND Heavy duty tow...that is how we ordered it!
 What a joke.  We then graduated (still have) 1999 Dodge Ram 1/4 ton with
all the whistles and bells (towing)...pulled the '73 like a "breeze", and
now the "85 Excella with "charm"...can't wait to try out my (just
purchased) 1998 Chevy Suburban!  (Again, all the towing whistles/bells)
With it being a longer wheel base, should handle that load even better than
the Dodge...just a presumption, but a pretty good deduction I believe.

Well, good for you!  You'll love your new Chevy - I'm certain of it!

Jim and Donna Dykstra
1985 Excella
(now dubbed:  Seth's "Back to the Future" machine!)