Re: [a/s] The accident was not our fault. Fr: Ruth & Dan

Out west somewhere (not Oregon, but can't remember which) I pulled into an
interstate rest top alongside a UPS rig that consisted of the tractor ane
THREE trailers. I was amazed at the length. I stepped it off and measured
roughly 100 feet. A few minutes later when the driver had caught up with
the paperwork he was busy with earlier, I spoke with him. He confirmed it
was 100 feet long (exactly). He explained he was limited geographically -
UPS could only use the long triples in a small area of the country.

An aside - this was during the UPS driver's strike in the late summer of
'97, and this guy's regular job was in management - he was driving this rig
to keep UPS going through the strike. Fortunately, he had been a
professional big-rig driver before he was promoted into management, so he
knew what he was doing. Said he sort of enjoyed doing it again...

In Australia, they have "Road Trains", with many trailers behind a single
tractor. I have seen them on TV, but don't remember the length. Maybe 200
feet or more!

Jerry W4UK