[a/s] New Airstream(s) owner

Hello Group

I just wanted to say hello and that I have enjoyed reading the newsgroup
mail.

My name is Wally Dragich and my wife's is Isabel. We live in Oakville
Ontario Canada (near Toronto) and we have been researching the purchase of
an A/S for over 6 months and we have wanted one for years and years (we are
48 & 47 yrs. old). I remember in the early 80's I was driving in Toronto and
spotted a very small A/S - 15 or 16 ft.. It had a FOR SALE sign and I
chatted to the lady who was selling it. It was in great shape and the lady
was selling it for around $900 (CDN). Not knowing much about A/S at that
time,I passed on it and have always regretted not buying it. After that, we
got a tent trailer from Isabel's sister and had some great times camping
through Florida and into Texas.

Over the last couple of month we have searched out many trailers, even in
the USA - as far as PA and some in New York. I was surprised how
unscrupulous some people were in lieing about the condition of their A/S to
make you drive 100's of miles for nothing. We almost bought one on Ebay a
couple of time, but felt that you need to see an A/S before you buy.

One time we drove for hours in Ontario to see what was advertised as a 1970
Airstream by a 70 year old deer farmer in the country. It looked like a
1940's or 50's A/S (rib ends) with a great interior. We were so impressed
that we put a deposit on it.

The next day, I phoned an A/S dealer in Ontario and it turned out to be a
Canadian A/S look-alike called Travelux. The company went out of business
years ago. There are no parts available, it tows like a "pig" and was worth
about one half of an A/S. We were mortified and put a stop payment on our
deposit cheque that morning. After, we called the seller and told him he was
falsely advertising his trailer, but his excuse was that "someone" told him
it was a Canadian Airstream. I also noticed that in a recent copy of RV
Trader, he had not changed his AD and was still trying to scam someone.

So that was the winding path that led to our final purchase(s).

We ended up buying our first A/S earlier this month from a very nice man and
his family in Guelph Ontario. They had used it mostly at a near-by
provincial park.

It is a 1965 Overlander - International. We are technically the 3rd owners.

We called Paul (the seller) from an AD that had only the picture of the A/S.
The publisher had not included the description or price of the trailer. You
can imagine my suspicion, since by now I thought all used Airstream sellers
were scoundrels - and worse! Paul assured me that it was a great trailer and
after the let-down of the Travelux incident, we were anxious to get a good
trailer.

We called Paul the same morning the we had cancelled the Travelux deposit
cheque. Someone had made an appointment to see the trailer (it seems that
every seller always has someone else also looking at your trailer).

We ended up driving up that evening looking at the A/S with a flashlight!
Everything Paul claimed was true. Great interior - original wood everywhere,
new floor, new fridge, new bathroom, an oven that had never been used and
the best of all --- original owners manual, and all original manuals and
sheets for all the mechanicals and electrics. What a find - we bought it
that night; by flashlight!

The exterior is great for a 1965. A few scratches and some small dents on
the lower "banana" portion of the skin.

We found a great RV park with lake, giant slide, and 100 new serviced lots,
only 30 minutes from were we live! It costs only $1250 per season and $100
for over winter storage. They also have daily and weekly sites for any one
of you wanting to visit and the site is less than 1 hour from down-town
Toronto. Paul is kind enough to tow our new Airstream to it's new home,
since we don't have a hitch yet.

Then something strange happened!! We were planning how to lay out our new RV
site at the park. The owner told us that we were allowed to put a shed on
our lot and to treat our lot like home.

Well what kind of shed would look good with an Airstream I asked my wife.
Something better than a wooden box-- Maybe something aluminum?

Then I said - how about an Airstream cut in half! - Not a good idea.

Isabel said - how about another full Airstream?

I suppose, we had been afflicted with a new form of obsessive compulsive
illness - the need to keep buying more Airstreams, since we have been doing
it for 6 months and hated to give it up!!

So earlier this week we bought our second Airstream - a 1970 Overlander 26'
International - the same trailer, 5 years newer!

Now we will have 2 A/S trailers on our lot - one to stay and one to tow.

If anyone is interested, I will tell you about the 1970 later.

Also, I have ordered a bunch of polishing stuff from Airmark Tools including
their special belly buffer and polishing compound. I can tell you our
progress on polishing if anyone wants to know or has any advice for me.

My future posts won't be as long winded!

I can assure you that otherwise, we are perfectly normal people and look
forward to having fun with our new Airstream(s).

Wally